Thursday, February 21, 2013

Back on the horse

It's been a while since I've made the time to sit down and write anything so while I'm killing time at work, I thought I'd see what I can come up with.

I always thought it was great to hear stories about the house my maternal grandparents lived in. They built it, and started out in what we now use as the garage. As many times as I've heard the stories and seen the garage, I still have a hard time picturing it. When we found a picture of the garage house in their belongings after they passed away, I still had a hard time placing the house on the property in my minds eye. It was so strange to see the garage without the rest of the house as I knew it.

As their family grew, they added on a living room which eventually became the breezeway. They had so many children and so little room that as the story goes, two kids would be put to bed in my grandparents bed and then moved to the living room when my grandparents were ready for bed every night. Eventually, they built the house I grew up visiting. The runing joke was always that it was still never finished even after they had lived there for many years. In fact, I don't remember the full story, but the upstairs bathroom was never in working order when I was a kid. Finally when I was in high school I think it got finished. And I don't think the trim ever got totally finished.

As a kid, I always wanted to live in the house when I grew up.

That's what I had time for. More later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Morgan, Aunt Sharon here.

I can't really tell you much about the old house (original structure) because I was born after the move into the newer part.

However, I thought I would comment about the finishing of the bathroom.

First of all, we had the one bathroom that was complete on the main floor that all 11 of us used. The bathroom upstairs from as far back as I can remember was only a tub and sink. The hole for the toilet was there but it always had a rag stuffed into it at the flooring level. (It used to creep me out!) The drywall was not finished around the tub so you could use the tub but you weren't allowed to get anything wet so as not to ruin it. (so no showers)

I remember as a teenager trudging up and down all the time to take a shower and finally asking Mom one day, "Why in all these years have you never finished the bathroom?"

The answer was so obvious...she said well every year when Dad had vacation they would say should we take the time and money to finish the bathroom, or go on vacation? The answer was always an overwhelming...vacation! So the bathroom always lost! And off we would go ...camping... with the huge tent, one station wagon, a trailer behind, one Stroh's beer case per kid as a suitcase, and all 11 of us in the vehicle together. Oh the memories!

Always enjoy your blog! Love you, Aunt Sharon