Friday, February 1, 2013

Family History Writing Challenge: Day 1

Word count: 726

Had a good writing session today. I'm rusty for sure with this writting business and creative writing wasn't my strong suit in school so I feel challenged. The hardest part is puting my memories onto paper in words that create the picture as I see it in my minds' eye. My memories are so precious to me that I find it hard to do them justice on the page.

Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect. Practice, and editing! Ha.

Today I wrote about cherrished memories of attending church with the Rebandts at Our Lady of the Woods in Woodhaven, Michigan.

I hesitate to share, but why not, thats what this challenge is about, isn't it? Leave feedback, or share your memories too!


Building Faith through Family  2/1/2013

After my family moved away from the downriver area and stopped attending Our Lady of the Woods in Woodhaven, church was never quite the same and our attendance fell off dramatically. My grandparents, Conrad and Marge (Bloink) Rebandt and their family helped establish the church. In fact, Conrad’s brother, Ralph also started the Baptist church right next door. There is a family story that says the Baptist church still owns part of Guddith road because Ralph was stubborn and refused to sign the land over to the city when they put the road through.

Growing up, most Sunday mornings followed a similar routine. My mother would get us up if we weren’t already and make sure we picked out “church clothes” to wear. That phrase continued to indicate nice clothes throughout my life. Whenever I had an occasion to pick an outfit for, I’d ask, “does it have to be ‘church clothes?’”

Once we got to church, we always sat in the same spot. We’d dip our hand in the holy water by the door and the head down the left side of the church to the pew just behind the longest pew in the church. I remember feeling that it was as if the church members knew that that pew was where the Rebandts sit. It was like they reserved it for us. There was another family that would sit at the end of our pew on the side closer to the middle aisle, but the rest of the pew was always ours. And we usually filled it. One of the benefits of having such a close family was that we got to see each other often, and only two of Conrad and Marge’s nine children moved out of state. So, our family would gather, there in “our” pew and listen to the word of the Lord.

Once church was over, we’d head to the vestibule to chat with family members, greet the priest and see other church members as well. I remember it was in the church vestibule where my cousin Michael, got to announce to the family that he would soon be a big brother. Family news was often passed along this way, in the church vestibule. Many times, my cousins would play while the adults chatted. On sunny days, we’d head outside and then we cousins had lots more fun. Playing in front of the statue of the Mother Mary was a favorite pass time, as was climbing on the surrounding walls in typical childlike fashion until one of the adults noticed what we were doing and hollered at us to get down.

Many Sundays after church, the family would head over to Millie’s restaurant which was around the corner from church, just past Grandma and Grandpa’s house on the north side of West Road. Millie’s had a few names over the years, most of them I can’t remember any more, but the inside never seemed to change; nor did our Sunday morning routine.  Most of the time, there was a large round table up in the back of the restaurant that could accommodate our group of 10 to 15. If that table was already taken, the wait staff would drag tables together for us and we’d sit down to share breakfast. Most of us anyways, Becky never wanted breakfast. She would always order spaghetti. And she’d devour a full plate and sometimes want a more. I’ve never seen a small child consume so much spaghetti!

Once in a while, we’d head back to Grandma and Grandpa’s house after breakfast, or we’d go to their house and cook breakfast instead of going to the restaurant. Playing in the yard at Grandma and Grandpa’s was always the best. There were plenty of cousins to play with and trouble to be made. We loved the old swing set that was so big it had to have come from an old park. It was always scary when you got swinging high enough to make the front legs come up off the ground. Thank goodness we never tipped it over. There were many a time I thought we might.

The glidder on the back porch also holds many special memories. More often we got to spend quiet moments with Grandma and Grandpa here as they watched the rest of the cousins play.
 

~Morgan

No comments: