Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Family History Writing Challenge...I'm In!

I've long had an interest in my family history. I was the only teenager I knew that owned (a now ancient copy) of Family Tree Maker. (So old that when I recently got back into doing family history research and asked my Husband if I could update my old copy he actually laughed out loud at me. In the most loving of ways, of course.) 

What really got me on the hunt for my ancestors again is the desire to get down on paper all of the wonderful stories that I heard growing up. They are my families legends in my mind. And I believe they should be shared. They're still entertaining to me after all these years and I believe others will find them entertaining as well. (The fact that in the past 5 years, I have lost two of my three living grandparents has also been a huge kick in the pants.)

My inspiration for what I imagine my family history book might look like is a thin paperback that was shared with my parents by my great uncle. He picked it up from a man known as "The Lilly King." His book is a collection of short stories in which he tells stories he heard as a boy and what he learned from them, stories of his boyhood adventures, and how he became known as The Lilly King and developed his day lilly business.

That said, I'm in...I'm committing to 250 words a day for 28 days. One month of writing about my family history and what I know. Putting down the stories I heard. Making sense of the notes I've written when I was so excited about a family history discovery that I couldn't sleep. (Sorry for the light and the scratching of the pen at all hours of the night, honey.) I've got to start that book I've been envisioning some time. Might as well be now.

Find out more  about the Family History Writing Challenge at The Armchair Genealogist.

What will you write?

~Morgan